– or –
Please login or register to participate.
Ivana Aug 22, 2014 08:43 PM
Hi, I need HELP ASAP and informations about European laws that are binding even to the state of Croatia.
Namely, only 5 km from the city center of Split, the second largest city in Croatia, is situated a garbage dump (I am very sorry for my plaine English but I hope you understand the point). A couple of days ago a chemistry engineer measured a double dose of Hydrogen sulfide than alowed that has been suffocating us for a year now.
We need help ASAP cause more and more people of the surrounding communities are getting sick every day, including myself (respiratory problems), young people (under 30 years) dying of cancer..
There's a group we organized to end that dumping but we need help.
Please, ANY information is welcome.
Replies (1)
EEA Aug 25, 2014 10:36 AM
Hi Ivana,
Please be informed that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA's working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies. It is the Europan Commission which has the responsibility of making new legislative proposals as well as overseeing that Member States act in accordance with EU law. The Directorate General for the Environment is the branch of the Commission responsible for European environmental policy and legislation.The role of the EEA is to supply all parties concerned with relevant environmental information.
The “Summaries of EU legislation” website presents the main aspects of EU legislation in a concise, easy-to-read and unbiased way. You can find the section on environmental legislation at: http://europa.eu/[…]/index_en.htm . If you wish to follow developments of pending legislation, you can access the Legislative Observatory at: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/home/home.do . The homepage of the DG Environment is located at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/. If the above mentioned websites do not provide you with sufficient information, you may also contact the DG Environment directly. Relevant contact details can be viewed at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/contact/contact_en.htm.
Please also be informed that anyone may lodge a complaint with the Commission against a Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State. The Department for "Implementation, Governance and Semester" of the Directorate General for the Environment is the focal point for complaints.
Hope this helps.