Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
OlaBrahammar Oct 08, 2018 04:23 PM
Greek Island of Kalymnos (population 16000) burns all household waste of the entire island in a backyard outside the main city, every day, all year around.
The island lacks organized recycling, so the burnt waste includes recyclable plastics, aluminium cans and anything else that can fit in a large waste container.
How can we make Kalymnos setup recycling and proper waste management?
Replies (2)
EEA Oct 09, 2018 11:19 AM

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA).
The EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe in its attempt to improve the environment and move towards sustainability in Europe.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your post. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Regarding your specific complaint, we suggest in the first instance to contact your local, regional and/or national authorities.

You may contact the Directorate-General for the Environment of the European Commission directly, or register a complaint at[…]/complaints_en.htm.
See also

You may also contact the unit dealing with complaints in the Directorate General for the Environment of the European Commission at the following address:

Mr. Aurel Ciobanu-Dordea
Director "Implementation, Governance and Semester"
DG Environment
European Commission
200 rue de la Loi
BE-1049 Bruxelles

I hope this information may be useful to you.

Kind regards
Bg189 Jun 14, 2019 10:22 PM
OlaBrahammar, I may have seen a television report on this issue. The rubbish is almost engulfing the island.

Check out Powerhouse Energy Group of the UK. They have developed a technology that requires no chimney, no incineration, virtual no toxic byproduct and does convert waste tyres, waste plastics to clean electrical energy, road fuel quality hydrogen and with heat recovery this is also available to heat local homes.

System is modular and requirement only approximate 4000sqm.