Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
rcalado Jan 28, 2020 05:12 PM
Hello. Would like to know if EEA is aware of the project for the construction of a new airport in Portugal, in Montijo? I would like to discuss with EEA this matter since this will have a massive impact in the Environment and the population living in the area, and despite the Environment Portuguese Agency made a negative report on this project, portuguese government is willing to move forward. Looking forward for your reply so I can show you a closer look to this situation.
Replies (1)
EEA Jan 29, 2020 09:36 AM
Dear Ms. Calado,

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA) and for your concern for our environment.

The EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe in its attempt to improve the environment and move towards sustainability in Europe.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your message. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

You may contact the Directorate-General for the Environment of the European Commission directly, or register a complaint at[…]/complaints_en.htm. See also

Regarding your specific complaint, we suggest in first instance that contact your national authorities. National non-governmental organisations may also be able to support you.

We hope that this situation will find a suitable outcome.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service