– or –
Please login or register to participate.
Paischi Jan 24, 2018 08:11 PM

I have a quick question: My grandmother lives in a small village in Portugal, called Fornos, Santa Maria da Feira. In this village, there is a music school since many years. My grandmother lives in a house close by the school, with some property which she uses for growing plants, fruit, corn, etc. Now the village chamber however has decided, that this small village needs a new street to connect the music school - which is completely unnecessary, as there is already a street to this music school. This new street would be a complete waste and environmental pollution. Also it would destroy a vey old natural habit for many animals, and a bit of nature. It really it not necessary. So my grandmother has an attorney, but he suggests to accept the offer just to avoid stress. He apparently does not understand, that it is more than just the financial aspects but also an impact in nature.
I desperately search for some suggestions or help for fighting this. I know, my grandmother needs another lawyer, but maybe someone has another idea which could help this case.

Thank you so much,
Replies (1)
EEA Jan 25, 2018 10:28 AM
Dear Sarah.

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA).

The EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe in its attempt to improve the environment and move towards sustainability in Europe.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your email. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Regarding your specific complaint, we would suggest in the first instance to contact your local, regional and/or national authorities.
You may also contact the Directorate-General for the Environment of the European Commission directly (http://ec.europa.eu/environment/contact/form_en.htm), or register a complaint at http://ec.europa.eu/[…]/complaints_en.htm).
See also http://ec.europa.eu/environment/legal/law/complaints.htm

You may also contact the unit dealing with complaints in the Directorate General for the Environment of the European Commission at the following address:

Mr. Aurel Ciobanu-Dordea
Director "Implementation, Governance and Semester"
DG Environment
European Commission
200 rue de la Loi
BE-1049 Bruxelles

I hope this information may be useful to you.

Kind regards