– or –
Please login or register to participate.
Ksusha Jul 21, 2019 04:02 AM
I live in Riga, Latvia. This country’s Supreme Court has issued a decision that allows making noise despite the time and the place. So I have several night clubs working through 11 pm till 7 am every weekend. They play their music so loud that my decibel meter showed 64 dB in my apartment at 4:30 am. What can be done with it? It brings a lot of suffering to me, my family and I believe, people around.
Replies (1)
EEA Jul 22, 2019 05:40 PM
Dear Ksusha,

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA), we are sorry to hear about your situation.
Each country has their own noise policies/ regulations on environmental noise and the EEA just works with data related to the EU legislation and environmental noise. The only binding requirement for EU member states regarding environmental noise (e.g. roads, railways, airports and industries) is the Environmental Noise Directive (END) which obliges countries to report noise data and action plans to the European Commission once every 5 years. The END also mentions that Member States shall aim to protect quiet areas against an increase in noise. The World Health Organisation guidelines for night noise recommend less than 40 dB(A) of annual average (Lnight) outside of bedrooms to prevent adverse health effects from night noise. The WHO guidelines for community noise set up a guideline value of 30 dB LAeq inside bedrooms. The WHO also recommend people are exposed to less than 55 A-weighted decibels (dB(A)) to avoid high annoyance in outdoor living spaces. However these guideline values are not a legal requirement.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your email. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Regarding your specific complaint, we suggest in the first instance to contact your local, regional and/or national authorities potentially a public health protection agency. Moreover, national non-governmental organisations may be able to support you. For your enquiry, I have searched the Internet and found that the Public Health Association of Latvia might a point of contact for you.

More information about noise can be found on the following pages:

Best regards,
EEA Enquiry Service