Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
Discussion
DavidCrete Feb 14, 2020 07:41 AM
I have just been through the SOER 2020 Executive Summary and am surprised that 'light pollution' is missing. In view of the severe, adverse effects on many mammal and bird species plus many insect species, is this an omission? I believe this is an extremely important issue, especially with the huge reduction in the number of insects, which are now known to be severely affected by this.
Replies (5)
Abdul0012 Feb 25, 2020 01:11 PM
Yes Maybe You're right but you have to clear it from EEA.
or see it here https://10hunts.com
EEA Mar 06, 2020 09:06 AM
Dear M. David Crete,

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA).
We acknowledge receipt of your message and will get back to you as soon as possible.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service
EEA Mar 13, 2020 11:35 AM
Dear M. David Crete,

Thank you for your patience and for your enquiry.

Negative impacts of light pollution are addressed in the SOER 2020 in the ‘Biodiversity and nature’ chapter on page 83. Overall, the chapter provides information on the state and trends of different species, including birds, and describes diverse pressures which affect them. Please note that the chapter also highlights the current dramatic losses of insects and their main drivers of decline (pp. 85-86) and illustrates it with the trends of grassland butterflies populations.

We invite you to read this chapter and other parts of SOER 2020 for more comprehensive information about the state and outlook of the European environment.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service
DavidCrete Mar 16, 2020 07:53 AM
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, I had read the Executive Summary and there is no mention of light pollution in that.

I believe that light pollution is as important, and in many cases more important, than other factors included in the Summary and there is an urgent need for an immediate and huge reduction in pollution in Europe and globally. As many people and media see only the Executive Summary I feel there has been a great omission and with the continuing huge reduction in insect populations (and thus pollination, and bird / bat populations) there is a requirement for this damaging factor to be prioritised and brought to the attention of the media and the general public.

Thank you.
David Capon
EEA Mar 16, 2020 03:48 PM
Dear Sir,

We thank you for sharing your views, which will be communicated to our experts.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service