Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
mrmarcopolo Jan 03, 2020 12:07 AM
I have discovered a fault in Swedish legislation regarding the environmental assessment of Wind Farms which is being exploited by developers. They have been able to get permits for turbines limited by total height only (no rotor diameter limitation) and the environmental assessments are based on smaller rotor diameters. Once the permits have been obtained, the developers then oversize the turbines to a much larger rotor diameter than was suggested in the environmental assessments. This loophole is being applied to many permits where the original permit was issued 10 years ago for a small turbine and they were able to obtain a permit amendment to remove the rotor diameter limitation and obtain a new height only limiitation in the interim. Who can I escalate this to in the European Environment Agency?
Replies (1)
EEA Jan 06, 2020 03:30 PM
Dear M. 'Mrmarcopolo',

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA).

The EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe in its attempt to improve the environment and move towards sustainability in Europe.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your message. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

In the first instance, we would suggest that you contact your national authorities and possibly the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency ( Should there be an irregularity or infringement of an EU legislation or its national implementation, the European Commission or national authorities have the mandate to investigate the issue further. Please see: .

We hope that this may be useful for you.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service