Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
SerDam May 31, 2015 11:22 PM
There's a construction site next my place of residence that potentially violates the 2008/50/EC, 1999/30/EC, 80/799/EEC directives(I have to wash my car weekly and wipe the dust in my place once at a few days; once my car's water sprinklers got clogged with dust). I contacted the national enforcement agency, which differed me to the municipal agency. The latter said that they lack the necessary equipment to assess potential infringements and that other agencies have the required equipment, but they didn't name said agencies nor did they contact them for further investigation. A NGO measured the sound pollution emitted by the construction site and found it in violation of the law, but the local agencies refuse to enforce neither local law nor EU directives.

I would like to know what actions can I take in this case. If relevant I'm from Bucharest, Romania.
Replies (2)
EEA Jun 01, 2015 11:37 AM
Please be advised that the European Environment Agency has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your email. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Complaints to the European Commission (DG ENV) can be submitted via the following website:

You may also contact the unit dealing with complaints in the Directorate General for the Environment of the European Commission directly at the following address:

Mr. Aurel Ciobanu-Dordea
Director "Implementation, Governance and Semester"
DG Environment
European Commission
200 rue de la Loi
BE-1049 Bruxelles

I hope this information may be useful to you.

SerDam Jun 01, 2015 12:10 PM
Thank you for your speedy reply. It's what I was looking for. In case others need this information and will click the link, the url isn't broken, you have to remove the dot in the end though.