– or –
Please login or register to participate.
Discussion
paulinaml Jul 11, 2016 02:14 PM
Hi, the greenhouse gas emission data for the period 1990-2014 are available for EU-28. How is that possible, as in 1990 only EG-12 existed?
Replies (3)
EEA Jul 13, 2016 07:55 AM
Hello,
According to the UNFCCC reporting guidelines (Decision 24/CP.19), Parties to the UNFCCC and the Kyoto shall report consistently their GHG inventories for all reporting years, i.e. since the base year (1990 in most cases) up to the most recent inventory year. In addition, this reporting must be complete in the sense of full geographical coverage of the sources of an Annex I Party. As the EU28 has signed up as one Party to the UNFCCC, and jointly with Iceland to the Kyoto Protocol, the respective emissions are calculated and reported for the whole time series to ensure that the principles of the consistency and completeness are respected.
Kind regards.
paulinaml Jul 13, 2016 04:13 PM
Dear Sirs,

Thanks for the information. Allow me one more question for clarity: you wrote „as the EU28 has signed up as one party to the UNFCCC“ - the protocol was signed in 2005, however, at that time the EU consisted of EU-15. For the purpose of consistency of the data, did you - in retrospect - calculated the EU-15 in 1990 plus each country that later was part of EU-28?
Kind regards.
EEA Jul 18, 2016 01:18 PM
There have been two commitment periods: CP1 covering the 5-year period between 2008 and 2012 and the current CP2 covering the 8-year period between 2013 and 2020. The EU reported as EU-15 under the first KP period and is reporting as EU-28 + Iceland during the second KP commitment period. In relation to the Convention reporting, the European Union reports according to its membership (currently EU-28). In 2016 we are running the CP2 under the Kyoto Protocol, so we report as EU 28 + Iceland. In addition we report as EU-28 under the Convention. All the submissions are consistent over the time series since 1990.
Our GHG data viewer contains the country-level information and different aggregations are possible depending on the user requirements:
http://www.eea.europa.eu/[…]/greenhouse-gases-viewer