Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
jjramsden Mar 07, 2018 05:35 PM
A very large (> 500,000 tonnes per annum) waste incinerator has been granted planning permission in Marston Vale, in Bedfordshire, England. In the same Vale about 30,000 new houses are also being planned, arranged in 5 new villages as well as expanding existing ones. The incinerator is low-tech, burning at max. 850 degC and often cooler, with primitive emissions controls. There are great concerns about emissions of dioxins, heavy metals and PM1. Some of these are not even controlled. What can we do about it?
Replies (1)
EEA Mar 08, 2018 01:46 PM

The EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe in its attempt to improve the environment and move towards sustainability in Europe.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Regarding your specific complaint, we would suggest in the first instance to contact your local, regional and/or national authorities.
You may also contact the Directorate-General for the Environment of the European Commission directly (, or register a complaint at[…]/complaints_en.htm).

See also

I hope this information may be useful to you.

Kind regards,