Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
CV_Mex Apr 20, 2018 06:11 PM
Hello Guys,
I am from México and over here we have a huge problem. The Monarch Butterfly sanctuaries are being deforested in order to turn them into avocado (aguacate) plantations. I know that this is not “your problem” but every time that someone in Europe buys an avocado, or eat some guacamole they are promoting the destruction of the Monarch Butterfly ecosystem.
How can we take this information to the European people? Mexican government, Mexican agricultures do NOT care about the environment, and if people over the world keep consuming avocado this sanctuaries, that are not under international protection, will be completely destroyed.

Thank you for your help,
Kind regards,
Replies (1)
EEA Apr 26, 2018 10:43 AM
Thank you for your interest in the European Environment Agency (EEA).
Please be advised that the EEA has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your enquiry. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. To be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State. Complaints to the European Commission can be submitted via the following website:[…]/make_a_complaint_en.htm. See also[…]/complaints_en.htm.
However, since the concerns you raise deals with a non-EU member country, you may wish to contact the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), as it is a globally acting organisation addressing environmental issues. The UNEP's website is located at: and
Moreover, national non-governmental organisations in Mexico may be able to support you.
We hope this information will be useful to you.
Kind regards,