Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
JulieAnne Apr 06, 2017 09:10 PM
To whom in Spain can I report consistent and blatant violations of anti-pollution guidelines?
I work in a shipyard and it is appalling how they disregard MarPol regulations. I have complained to the office of the shipyard and they are not making any changes. They don't catch any anti-foul under the boats when they blast it off, it simply flows straight into the sea, they don't provide any pump out for boats' black and grey tanks - boats all pump directly into the harbour, the shipyard cleaning staff regularly sweep solvent materials directly into the water.
Where can I go to have my voice heard?
Julie Anne
Replies (1)
EEA Apr 07, 2017 10:17 AM
Dear Julie Anne,

Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA).

Please be advised that the European Environment Agency has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in your email. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Complaints to the European Commission (The Directorate-General for the Environment) can be submitted via the following website:
See also and[…]/complaints_en.htm.

I would also suggest you to contact the local authorities in Spain and inform them about the situation.

Kind regards