Please note that this forum is no longer in use and has been replaced by an online contact us form.

Be assured that the information service rendered by the EEA remains similar. Note that the content of this forum will remain publicly available until the end of 2020. After that we will archive it for internal use for a max retention period of 3 years. Any personal data will be deleted after this retention period.

With kind regards,
EEA Enquiry Service

Please login to participate.
Discussion
Jeandetaca Jun 05, 2014 01:10 PM
Publication of ghg emissions in EU (june 3 2014). I am shocked that this publication completly forgets that the main reason of the heralded cut in CO2 emissions is the off shoring of a lot of factories in the emerging world since 1990.
Replies (3)
EEA Jun 12, 2014 08:51 AM
Dear Jean,

we have published a separate technical analysis on why the GHG emissions have decreased in Europe: http://www.eea.europa.eu/[…]/why-are-greenhouse-gases-decreasing

I hope you find this useful.

Kind regards,
EEA
Jeandetaca Jun 12, 2014 10:04 AM
EEA: are you joking? I have read the ovelook of your paper, and the main reason I reveal (oof shoring, so a bias in the way of acccounting) is hardly noticed in your paper. I am not alone to stand on this ground. Please check a publication by the french CAN named RAC (Reseau Action Climat)) ou publication by CARBONE 4 a private consulting group. I am still surprised (to tell the less) that a european agency can publish such a wrong analysis of the reality!
ricardo Jun 17, 2014 11:36 AM
It is indeed relevant to better understand the key reasons for lower industrial emissions in Europe (one of which is linked to re-allocation to other countries). The report does acknowledge that but without going into a deep analysis, and certainly not claiming that it is the ‘main’ reason for lower GHG emissions in Europe. For example, as mentioned in the report, while Europe may be indirectly generate some of the emissions elsewhere — exported EU emissions — a share of Europe's own emissions can be traced to consumption of European goods in some of Europe's main trading partners — imported EU emissions. The energy and carbon intensity of the production of goods and services will by and large determine the real shares of exported and imported emissions.' The report also mentions that 'lower energy intensity of GDP can be explained by .... changes in the structure of the economy and a higher share of the services sector compared to the more energy intensive industrial sector.' This is a topic of great interest which is partly addressed in other EEA reports 'http://www.eea.europa.eu/pu[…]s-from-european-consumption' We do take the message that this aspect is also very relevant for explaining why emissions decreased in the EU since 1990 and that more analysis would be needed before long.