– or –
Please login or register to participate.
jpadirl May 17, 2012 03:38 PM
I wish to know if there is an agency that looka at problems occouring in a private water supply. We have a well that is showing abnormal levels e.g. Conductivity 4200 uS/cm I am based in Ireland and cannot get to the bottom of the problem Thanks
Replies (1)
EEA May 21, 2012 12:23 PM
Dear jpadirl,

Thank you for your question. As you may know, the EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe. European environmental legislation is beyond the Agency’s working remit. Please be aware that the EEA has no legal mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for legal complaints and no powers of investigation related to the allegations in your email.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the Commission against a Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Anyone who considers a measure (law, regulation or administrative action) or administrative practice to be incompatible with Community law is invited, before or at the same time as lodging a complaint with the Commission, to seek redress from the national administrative or judicial authorities (including the national or regional ombudsman and/or arbitration and conciliation procedures available). The Commission advises the prior use of such national means of redress, whether administrative, judicial or other, before lodging a complaint with the Commission, because of the advantages they may offer for complainants. Internet and postal addresses of relevant national authorities can be obtained at:

Should you consider introducing a complaint, it should be addressed to the competent service(s) of Directorate General Environment of the European Commission in charge of these matters:

Jean-François BRAKELAND
European Commission
Unit, ENV2 .A.2- Compliance promotion, governance & Legal Issue
200 rue de la Loi
1049 Bruxelles - Belgium

At the following links, you can read more about European Commission infringement proceedings for non-compliance with Community law Principles.

Making a complaint:

Exercise your rights:

Hopefully, this information will help you.