– or –
Please login or register to participate.
drachenbaer May 03, 2012 02:42 PM
Hi, to whom might EU citizens report high industrial pollution close to residential zones, ask for independent measurments, and in case act to ensure that a Member State (Region/City) complies with EU environmental regulations? Thank you in advance
Replies (1)
EEA May 07, 2012 11:53 AM
Hello! Thank you for your question.

As you may know, the EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe. European environmental legislation is beyond the Agency’s working remit. Please be aware that the EEA has no legal mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for legal complaints and no powers of investigation.

DG Environment is the branch of the Commission responsible for European environmental policy and legislation. The homepage of the DG Environment is located at:

Specific information on industry and environment is available at:

The “Summaries of EU legislation” website presents the main aspects of EU legislation in a concise, easy-to-read and unbiased way. You can find the section on industrial air pollution at:


Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the Commission against a Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Anyone who considers a measure (law, regulation or administrative action) or administrative practice to be incompatible with Community law is invited, before or at the same time as lodging a complaint with the Commission, to seek redress from the national administrative or judicial authorities (including the national or regional ombudsman and/or arbitration and conciliation procedures available). The Commission advises the prior use of such national means of redress, whether administrative, judicial or other, before lodging a complaint with the Commission, because of the advantages they may offer for complainants. Internet and postal addresses of relevant national authorities can be obtained at:

Should you consider introducing a complaint, it should be addressed to the competent service(s) of Directorate General Environment of the European Commission in charge of these matters. At the following links, you can read more about European Commission infringement proceedings for non-compliance with Community law Principles.
Making a complaint:
Exercise your rights:

The European Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (E-PRTR) is a Europe-wide register that provides easily accessible key environmental data from industrial facilities in European Union Member States. E-PRTR allows you to search for pollution data at facility level. For each facility, information is provided concerning the amounts of pollutant releases to air, water and land as well as off-site transfers of waste and of pollutants in waste water from a list of 91 key pollutants including heavy metals, pesticides, greenhouse gases and dioxins for the year 2007, 2008 and 2009.
The register is available at the following link: http://prtr.ec.europa.eu/

Hopefully, this information will help you.

Kind regards