– or –
Please login or register to participate.
mihailmi Apr 28, 2018 12:25 PM
Civil case. Help!
Dear EEA,
I wish to inform you that the city of Burgas, Bulgaria and its citizens have been exposed to high levels of toxic gasses released into the air between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. on a regular basis. We are desperate for assistance from any EU institution as the Bulgarian government has refused to investigate the matter. Could you direct me to any EU institution that has a mandate to investigate such matters?
In short : Right outside the city of Burgas (fourth largest in the country) is located the Russian owned oil refinery - Lukoil which has been releasing odorous gasses during night time for several years. The gasses can be traced by simple observation from the refinery to the city. Bulgarian institutions have been informed of this numerous times, but they are taking samples only during working hours (day time) and have attributed the air pollution to vehicle emissions. Lukoil has been fined because it failed to cooperate with the authorities, however, the fine is so insignificant that this trend is likely to continue as we can judge by the effect of the fines imposed on the company throughout the years. https://www.euscoop.com/[…]/air-pollution-burgas-area-lukoil-kronospan

Please help.
Replies (1)
EEA Apr 30, 2018 10:47 AM
Thank you for contacting the European Environment Agency (EEA).

The EEA produces reports on the state and trends of the environment in Europe in its attempt to improve the environment and move towards sustainability in Europe.

Please be aware that European environmental legislation is beyond the EEA’s working remit. The EEA neither sets nor enforces environmental policies and has no mandate for providing legal or technical assistance for complaints relating to environmental legislation, and no powers of investigation related to the issue you raise in enquiry. Unfortunately, therefore, we are not able to help you.

Under the Treaty establishing the European Community, the European Commission is responsible for ensuring that European Community law is correctly applied. Anyone may lodge a complaint with the European Commission against a European Member State about any measure, which is considered to be incompatible with Community law. However, to be admissible, a complaint has to relate to an infringement of Community law by a Member State.

Regarding your specific complaint, we would suggest in the first instance to contact your local, regional and/or national authorities.
You may also contact the Directorate-General for the Environment of the European Commission directly (http://ec.europa.eu/environment/contact/form_en.htm), or register a complaint at http://ec.europa.eu/[…]/complaints_en.htm). See also http://ec.europa.eu/environment/legal/law/complaints.htm

Regarding reduction of exposure you could also visit the World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/topics/air_pollution/en/

I hope this information may be useful to you.

Kind regards,